Google+ Sandeepa On Life: Picasa: How to add watermarks to photos

Pages

Search this blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Picasa: How to add watermarks to photos

A friend mentioned today that it hurts when someone uses your photos and don't give you the credit for it. I completely understand his feelings. It happened with me. It happens with everybody!

There are many tools available to add watermarks to your photos. Here I'm going to tell you how to do it using Picasa. Because that's what I use!

You have to think about adding a watermark(some copyright) only when you are sharing the photo with others.  Using Picasa you can share photos with others mainly in two ways. By uploading them to a web album and sharing the link, or by exporting the photos to a folder.

We will see how to add watermark to your photos in both these cases.


  1. How to add watermarks while uploading photos to Picasa Web Album
    1. Open Picasa
    2. Goto Tools -> Options -> Web Albums
    3. In the dialog that pop's up,(see image below) select the check box for Watermarks.


    4. Enter the text for your water mark in the text box given. As you can see in the screenshot, I use "(c) Sandeepa Nadahalli".
    5. Click OK to exit the settings dialog. Your photos will be watermarked with the given text when you upload them.
  2. How to add watermarks while exporting photos from Picasa.
    1. Select the photos or Album you want to export
    2. Goto File -> Export Picture to Folder
    3. Select the check box next to Watermark:
    4. Enter the text to be used for watermarking.
    5. Click on the export button!
Here is a photo with a watermark (from my Picasa Web Album ).

10 comments:

  1. how do I export a photo & what does that mean?
    I can't find 'file' either, am I blind??
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bonnie:
    The export feature in Picasa helps you to copy selected photo to a new folder in your desktop for easy sharing and back up.

    You can find the 'file' menu towards top left corner of Picasa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I download photos from picasa to blog...can't get water mark on photos...onlu can get it done when photos are exported to file...not helpful...help me.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    How did you download it to your blog?

    Did you consider adding the watermark before getting it to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see now they have removed the Blog this button on the bottom of picasa...wow I loved blogging this way...you pick pictures mark them for the tray...when you have as many as you like you just hit the blog this button (that is now not there) then the pictures would go to my blog and save until I was ready to add wording and then publish...what happened to blog button...anyway the only thing wrong was you couldn't get watermark on unless you uploaded to web albums ...too many steps..bring blog button back and you should be able to add watermark on all pic in picasa....help

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Phyllis,
    Hello,
    I understand the pain. But I still see the "Blog This" button in Picasa. Which version of Picasa are you using? and on what platform?

    Share the details.

    Cheers,
    Sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you so very much. You were a quick reference for me to go to regarding where and how to add my web site to my photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Feel free to like the blog page on Facebook(https://www.facebook.com/sandeepaonlife) and share.

      Delete
    2. I have Picasa set up years ago, used it for while, then stopped. My photos are still there. I want to try the watermark followed your instruction. I have my "Picasa web album" openned, but can't see the "watermark" box. Please help!

      Delete
    3. Hello,
      The method I have described here applies for new albums. Picasa lets you add watermark while uploading a new album to "Picasa web album".

      This method can not be used to add watermarks to existing web albums.

      I will see if there's a way to do it and write about it.

      Delete